The Curse of the Butterfingers Film Production

Summary

Our goal was to make a one minute film. We all collaborated a lot revisited our original idea to make the best film we could. My personal goal was to use elements of cinematography to express emotions through the camera, and to use intentional lighting in a way that made the scene look more natural, and filled out.

21st Century Skills

When working on this project we had to use a lot of these skills to be efficient in our process. When coming up with an idea for the film, a screenplay we had to be creative, to have a good story worth watching. We also created a group chat on the first day to make sure we could easily communicate. We used a lot of media sources to create the film such as Google, Premier Pro, iMessages, and more. This was all a good lesson in working as a team, learning how to balance out the power and workload so everyone pulled their weight.

The Curse of the Butterfingers

Reactions to Final Version

We were told by our panel that our film was easy to watch. It made sense and had a clear storyline. One of our evaluators, B, said that it had a “smart story concept”. Another evaluator, Michelle, said that even more than the film, she was impressed by our communication and collaboration during the whole film, and how we worked as a team.

Evaluation of Final Version

Our film started off with a very simple idea, something very familiar to us, a candy bar. Then one of us remembered the chant at our school football games, so we decided to merge the two very simple ideas into something new. From there we could tell a story that was unexpected using elements of everyday life. It was such a simple idea that it became very easy and fun to play around with, and make it more complex or break it down and change ideas last minute.

What I Learned and Problems I Solved

One of the things I learned in this film process was the importance of organization. As the cinematographer, I had to be very organized when I was uploading files, and I had to make sure that what I did with the clips made sense to the editor. A problem I solved was filming on a tight schedule. a few times in production we realized that if we went through with our ideas we wouldn’t finish our film in time, so we improvised and shot new clips that we knew we could finish. Our film slightly strayed from the original story, but we had it in on time, and we had enough time for editing that it was good quality as well.