The Dark Room Production Project

CC image “325/365 – Guest Room” by Loimere from Creative Commons

Summary

My goal for this film session as Sound Designer was to use multiple sources of audio and to add foley or library sound in a one minute film.

21st Century Skills

We had to use many of these skills to create a good film. During filming, we had to find ways to make a film entirely shot-reverse-shot interesting and intense. We all came up with ideas for the screenplay to make sure that it fit the characters, and that the team understood the tone of the film. I had to learn how to use PremierPro to replace certain sounds. This session was a good lesson in time management, we did everything quickly and carefully according to the schedule to make sure we could hit the deadline and have a decent film with all the requirements.

The Dark Room

Reactions to Final Version

Review from Advisor Michelle
“Great Organization”
“Tone matched the film”
“Good clear sound”

Peer Review from Natalie
“Ambiance sound helped set up the tone well”

Evaluation of Final Verison

The film started off with something that would make a lot of sense using shot-reverse-shot, an interrogation. Then we had to figure out what our interrogation would be about, and who it would be between. Once we had decided those (stolen cheese, father and son) it was a matter of writing a script that would create an intense and mysterious tone that cinematography could match. using intense contrasting lighting and little sound we created a film with a perfect look for an interrogation. Because we built this film from simple to more complex it was easier to change during production or add ideas to.

What I Learned and Problems I Solved

One of the most important lessons of this session was the importance of communication. At the beginning of pre-production, there wasn’t much communication going on. However a few days in, we started talking about the film and the film process, and things started running more smoothly. A problem I solved was learning how to add library sounds. I didn’t know how to insert my own sounds into the film, so I had to learn how to use PremierPro and the editor helped me learn it a bit too so that I could properly do my job.